Saturday, June 11, 2011

Baked Zucchini Fries with Marinara


It's a beautiful Saturday and my hubby is going to grill burgers for lunch and I thought it would be fun to give Baked Zucchini Fries a try as a fun and healthy side. I saw a picture of these on Friday on Une-deux senses and since then have been itching to make them. If you are expecting french fries go bark up another tree, but if you are looking for a fun new way to make zucchini this is your chance! I also made my own breadcrumbs using sprouted bread. It adds more texture, not to mention it's a lot healthier AND I am always looking for a way to use the end pieces of my bread. Just dip these sweet little things in a bit of warmed marinara and you are good to go!

Ingredients:
2 Medium zucchini, sliced into sticks
1 large egg white
1/3 cup seasoned whole wheat (I used sprouted grain) bread crumbs
2 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
cooking spray (I use a misto to spray grape seed oil)
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
salt
fresh pepper
1/2 cup marinara sauce, warmed

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 425 F. In a small bowl, beat the egg whites and season with salt and pepper. In a ziplock bag, place the breadcrumbs, garlic powder and cheese; shake well. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and set aside. Dip the zucchini sticks into the egg and then place into the bread crumb and cheese mixture, a few at a time and shake to coat. Place the breaded zucchini in a single layer and spray more cooking spray on top. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with some marinara sauce for dipping.

Serves 2-3


No comments:

Post a Comment